The West Virginia tennis team traveled to Virginia this weekend to participate in the William & Mary Hall of Fame Classic and left with a mixed bag of results.

On Friday, the Mountaineers lost both opening doubles matches against Virginia Commonwealth University. Juniors Giovanna Caputo and Anne-Sophie Courteau paired together in a match that ended 8-3, while sophomore Nicole Roc and freshman Kat Lyman teamed up in a 8-4 defeat.

While doubles play was tricky for the squad, singles play was redeeming for the Mountaineers as Courteau and Lyman picked up two of the team’s three singles victories against William & Mary.

Courteau bested William & Mary’s Natalia Perry (4-6, 6-4, 10-4), Lyman trumped Charlotte Madson (7-6, 6-2), and sophomore Anastasiia Bovolskaia defeated Elisa Van Meeteern (6-0, 5-7, 10-6). Caputo and Roc fell in singles play against the Griffins.

Play resumed Saturday at the Millie West Tennis Center with West Virginia taking four wins total for the day.

The Mountaineers started the day splitting doubles matches against the hosts, with Corteau and Caputo coming out victorious 8-5 while Bovolskaia and Lyman dropped their match, 5-8.

Competing against Miami and Liberty in singles play, the team added to their promising opening performance with wins by Caputo (6-4, 2-6, 10-8), Lyman (7-5, 2-6, 10-3) and Bovolskaia (6-1, 6-1).

On Sunday, Caputo and Corteau were defeated by Miami’s Nada Dimovska and Lucia Marzal Martinez 3-8, while the duo of Bovolskaia and Roc triumphed 8-3 against Liberty’s Nasha Ghajar and Kelly Lewis.

In singles play, the Mountaineers were impressive in winning four of five matches against VCU. Courteau (7-5, 3-6, 10-8), Caputo (6-3, retire), Lyman (6-1, 6-3), and Bovolskaia (6-4, retire) picked up wins in their matches, while Roc dropped her match against Noumea Witmus (2-6, 3-6).  

The Mountaineers will return to action in October when they host the Martha Thorn Invitational.