The West Virginia men’s soccer team kicked off their regular season slate on Friday evening by knocking off Monmouth, 1-0. 

It took until the 50th minute for the Mountaineers (1-0) to get on the board before Ethan Shim knocked a ball off the post and into the goal for the only score of the night and the 1-0 West Virginia advantage. 

The goal offers a bright spot for Shim as the senior midfielder has only notched three goals in the previous three seasons.

On a day where both goals seemed like a ball magnet, the Mountaineers outshot the Hawks, 18-6. Monmouth (0-1) goalkeeper Sean Murray came up with seven saves as opposed to Steven Tekesky’s trio of saves for West Virginia. 

Tekesky came up with a critical save for West Virginia in the 59th minute as Monmouth’s Julian Gomez broke away with what looked like the chance the Hawks needed before the junior goalkeeper stepped in front for the save.

Sebastian Garcia-Herreros offered the first sign of hope for West Virginia in the 37th minute on a high shot that Monmouth’s Murray was able to get in front of to keep the score knotted. 

West Virginia midfielder Andres Muriel-Albino led the team with five shots on the night, followed by defenseman Albert Andres Llop’s trio of shots and midfielders Tsubasa Takada and Pau Jimenez Albelda who each finished with a pair of shots. 

On the other side of the ball, Monmouth had trouble finding the net the whole night as Gomez was the only Hawk to get two or more shots off the entire night. 

The Mountaineers look to keep their winning ways going when they travel to Delaware on Monday night at 7 p.m.