Sh'Nia Gordon charges toward the goal during WVU and St. Francis Women's Soccer.

Sh’Nia Gordon charges towards the goal during WVU’s win over St. Francis.

The WVU women’s soccer team continued their winning ways as they defeated the Iowa State Cyclones Friday night by a final score of 2-0.

The Mountaineers (9-3-3, 5-1 Big 12) were able to get on the board first with a score by freshman forward Lizzie Mayfield. The goal, coming in the 41st minute, was Mayfield’s first of the season and the first first-half goal for the team since Sep. 23.

Coming out after halftime, an insurance goal came off of the foot of senior forward Sh’Nia Gordon in the 79th minute.

Iowa State (2-12-2, 0-5-1) was unable to dig themselves out of the two goal rut and was handed their fifth straight loss.

“Iowa State plays a tough defense and was totally trying to disrupt us,” Mountaineers head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said postgame. “I was most impressed with this team’s patience tonight. We were able to find the back of the net because we stayed within our game and waited for the right chances.”

The WVU defense was able to limit the Cyclones to a grand total of three shots for the entire match with only one of the shots being on target. Additionally, with the match result, the Mountaineer defense has shutout the opposition in six of their last eight matches.

“We played tight defense tonight, too,” Izzo-Brown said.” That shutout was really important to us, and I’m happy to see we got back on track with the clean sheet.”

On the flip-side, the Mountaineers were able to get off 15 shots. This is the 14th match of the season in which the aggressive offensive attack was able to get off double-digit shot totals.

Leading WVU in shots was Gordon, with four. Mayfield was second, with three shots, and also assisted on Gordon’s goal.

Next Friday the Mountaineers will continue working their way through the conference as they travel to Stillwater, Oklahoma to take on Oklahoma State. Since the first matchup in 2012, the Cowgirls have been unable to defeat the Mountaineers as WVU currently leads the all time matchup 8-0.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.