WVU gymnast

A WVU gymnast holds onto the bar in a match last year.

The West Virginia University gymnastics team is off to a terrific start in their new season.

They are currently ranked at No. 23 on the Regionals National Rankings, as well as being ranked No. 15 on vault, No. 23 on floor and No. 24 on bars.

Junior Alexa Goldberg holds the No. 10 rank nationally as well as the No. 4 regional rank on bars, with a score of 9.875. Goldberg is No. 4 on bars nationally as well as No. 2 regionally. With an average score of 39.108, she has the No. 35 rank nationally and is No. 7 regionally.

Sophomore Zaakira Muhammad is ranked No. 13 on bars with a score of 9.808. With a score of 9.725, she holds the No. 23 spot on beam. Muhammad’s high score of 39.325 on the all-around puts her at No. 15 nationally and No. 5 regionally.

Freshmen Kirah Koshinski has been named the Big 12 Newcomer of the Week for the third week in a row, marking the first time in program history a Mountaineer was named of Newcomer of the Week for the Big 12 for three straight weeks.

“She exudes a confidence on all three events,” said WVU head coach Jason Butts. “It’s a very calming confidence she has when she is competing.”

The freshman gymnast currently holds the No. 2 rank on vault with a record of 9.892, which places her at No. 7 nationally. Her high scores also place her at the No. 5 rank on beam with a the score of 9.783, and with the score of 9.808 on floor, she holds the No. 8 rank.

“They are calm and collected under pressure and they keep stepping up and knocking it out of the park.” Butts said. “I am just so proud of them.”

Freshman Carly Galpin ranks No. 5 on beam in the region with the score of 9.825, placing her at No. 35 nationally.

Freshman Tiara Wright has an average of 9.733 on bars, ranking her No. 24 in the region.

“The scores are the fun part,” Butts said in an interview with wvusports.com. “But the ability to hit is the focus, and you could tell today the team has been working hard in Cary Gym. This is where we need to be as we get ready for several road meets in February.”

After a week off from competing, the Mountaineers will be traveling to Iowa State for a meeting at 7:30 p.m. on Friday.

“If we can compete like this on the road, we will set ourselves up for some incredible road scores, and those will help us down the line,” Butts said.