Mountaineers chalk impressive recruiting class

West Virginia head coach Marlon LeBlanc looks on during a game at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium

On Tuesday night, in its first match against a ranked opponent this season, the West Virginia men’s soccer team lost 3-0 to No. 23 Wright State.

It was an uncharacteristic match for WVU (8-5, 1-0 MAC) as it was only their second loss in their last eight matches, and only the second match this season in which they allowed multiple goals to be scored against them.

Wright State (9-1-2, 3-0-1 Horizon) dominated the Mountaineers early, though, and continued to for the full 90 minutes.

The Raiders began quickly with both a shot and a corner kick in the first three minutes of play.

They followed their early shot with a goal in the 10th minute by junior midfielder Stefan Rokvic

West Virginia tried to rebound from their deficit with a shot by junior defender Pascal Derwaritsch, the shot, however, went wide and the Mountaineers continued to trail.

WVU attempted only three total shots in the first half and had none on-goal.

Wright State stayed aggressive throughout the first half and added a header goal to their total in the 38th minute. The goal was scored by freshman forward Linden Eberle with the assist coming from junior midfielder Deri Corfe.

The Raiders finished the half with seven shot attempts, including five on goal, and were not forced to make a save in the first 45 minutes.

“We didn’t compete, we looked like a tired team that has traveled, and we didn’t compete tonight,” WVU coach Marlon LeBlanc said. “They jumped on us 10 minutes into the game, and at the end of the day, they just out-worked us. Give them credit, because they out-worked us, but we were soft, and we got what we deserved on the night.”

The second half began better for WVU as they were able to get four shots off and attempted three corner kicks in the first 20 minutes.

None of the attempts were successful, though, and Wright State’s final score in the 86th minute finally shut the door on the Mountaineers.

Rokvic, again, was in on the score, his ninth of the season, and he was assisted by Corfe, his second of the game and sixth on the year.

WVU’s senior midfielder Joey Piatczyc led the team with three shot attempts.

West Virginia completes their three-game road trip Saturday with a 7 p.m. match against Akron.