Despite a slow start, the West Virginia women’s soccer team put together two goals to get a 2-0 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson on Friday night. 

It was a defensive battle early with neither team getting a clear shot at the net. However, sophomore defender Jordan Brewster ended the drought with her first goal of the season on a penalty kick in the 17th minute to put the Mountaineers ahead 1-0. 

The Mountaineers ended the first half with 18 total shots with nine being on goal. Fairleigh Dickinson (2-5-3) only managed one shot on goal. 

West Virginia head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown believed that the goal had more benefits than seen on the scoreboard.

“Jordan was able to finish on the goal, and it was a really big tempo play for us," Izzo-Brown said. "We started to move the ball around and play a little more relaxed.”

West Virginia (4-3-1) continued its aggressive play from the first period into the second period . The Mountaineers had 14 total shots in the second period with five on goal, ending with 32 total shots with 14 on goal.  

Sophomore midfielder Isabella Sibley scored her second goal of the season with an unassisted goal in the 53rd minute, extending the lead for West Virginia to 2-0 to finish off the evening. 

WVU will next play Bowling Green on Sunday afternoon. This is the final non-conference match of the season with a match against Iowa State just seven days away. 

Izzo-Brown is looking forward to the match against Bowling Green with Big 12 play opening up days later.

“Bowling Green is an incredible team and we know we’re going to have our hands full on Sunday,” said Izzo-Brown. “These next couple of games are definitely important and we want to keep controlling what we can control and do our job.”

The match against Bowling Green begins at 1 p.m. at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium in Morgantown.