The West Virginia men’s soccer team will be heading into conference play this weekend coming off of their fourth loss of the season, falling at the hands of No. 18 North Carolina on Tuesday night by a score of 3-1.

The Mountaineers started off slow, giving up back-to-back goals in the 28th and 29th minutes. However, seven minutes later, in the 37th minute, WVU junior Pau Jimenez Albelda found the back of the net for his first goal of the season, bringing the score to 2-1 going into halftime. 

In the second half, the team was able to slow down the Tar Heels. However, North Carolina eventually scored in the 72nd minute and the Mountaineers were unable to answer as they scored zero goals in the second half.

West Virginia (6-4-1) was outshot 20-7 by the Tar Heels with only two of the team's seven shots on target, while North Carolina was able to get nine of their twenty shots on goal. Sixteen of the Tar Heels’ twenty shots came in the first half. 

This was the second straight loss for the Mountaineers and only the first time this year that they have lost two straight. 

With their Mid-American Conference (MAC) season opener in just five days, the team will start play sitting at third place in the MAC with their next opponent, Western Michigan, sitting at fourth.

Next up for the Mountaineers, the team will look to bounce back and win their first conference game of the season when they host Western Michigan on Sunday, Oct. 13 at 1 p.m.

Sports Writer

Born in Cleveland, Ohio and attending WVU, I study sports journalism and work with U92 sports talk radio, the WVU football team video crew, and the DA sports writing along with the DA sports podcast.