For the fifth consecutive season, West Virginia football lost against Oklahoma State, falling on Saturday by a final score of 20-13.

With the loss, the Mountaineers likely lost the chance of participating in a bowl game. 

“Just too many missed opportunities,” WVU head coach Neal Brown said following the game.

This win comes despite Oklahoma State gaining less overall offensive yardage than WVU: 285 yards against the Mountaineers’ 333. 

West Virginia quarterback Jarret Doege went 28-of-38 for 307 yards, improving from his first full-game showing against Kansas State, when he went 20-of-30 for 234 yards. 

OSU quarterback Dru Brown, who was filling in for the injured Spencer Sanders, went 22-of-29 passing for 196 yards.

WVU scored in only two quarters. Following a missed field goal by Evan Staley in the first quarter, the Mountaineers put 10 points on the board in the second quarter with a 22-yard field goal by Staley and a 34-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver George Campbell followed by an extra point. Staley added another field goal in the third quarter. 

OSU’s two touchdowns came on a 1-yard pass to wide receiver Jelani Woods in the first quarter and a 2-yard pass to wide receiver Dillon Stoner in the fourth quarter. Kicker Matt Ammendola made two field goals, one from 44 yards in the third quarter and the other from from 22 yards in the fourth quarter. 

All day, Oklahoma State running back Chuba Hubbard sliced through WVU’s defense. He rushed for 106 yards and picked up 88 receiving yards.

“Chuba, he’s the real deal,” Brown said. “He either made us miss or stiff armed or ran through tackles. We had him bottled up a couple of times, and he got out.”

Hubbard rushed for more yards than WVU running backs Leddie Brown and Kennedy McKoy combined as they racked in a total of 42 yards.

“Offensively, the issues we’ve had all year are the issues that haunted us today,” Brown said. “Our lack of ability to run the football, we didn’t score touchdowns in the red zone and we had critical drops.”

The last time WVU beat OSU was in 2014, emerging with a 34-10 victory.

WVU will travel to Fort Worth, Texas, to take on the TCU Horned Frogs next Saturday. Kickoff is slated for 4:15 p.m. and will be broadcast on ESPN.

Editor in Chief

Douglas Soule is the editor-in-chief for the Daily Athenaeum. He previously served as assistant news editor at the Daily Athenaeum. He has interned at the Charleston Gazette-Mail, The Globe Post and the Daily Athenaeum. He is a senior at WVU.