The West Virginia volleyball team suffered their second straight loss at home on Saturday, falling 3-0 to Iowa State at the WVU Coliseum.

After being tied 5-5 in the first set, Iowa State went on a run, scoring six straight points.  

Trailing 17-9, the Mountaineers responded, scoring seven of the next nine points to cut the lead to three.  The Cyclones stayed poised and would take the first set with a score of 25-18.

In the second set, West Virginia (8-7, 0-3 Big 12) got off to a slow start, giving up seven of the first 10 points and forcing a WVU timeout.  

Late in the set, the Cyclones owned a 22-16 lead before the Mountaineers fought back to get within two at 23-21.  A critical serve error would prove to be costly as Iowa State took the set 25-22.

In the final set, Iowa State (11-4, 2-1) would maintain control, taking a 19-9 lead and never looking back, finishing the set with a score of 25-16.

“Our passing has to get better.  Everything has to get better,” head coach Reed Sunahara said.  “Every touch has to matter. When we have good touches, I think we’re a pretty good team.”

The Mountaineer offense was led by senior Katelyn Evans and sophomore Kristina Jordan with 10 kills each.

Defensively, sophomore Lacey Zerwas led the team with nine digs, followed by junior Alexa Hasting with eight.

WVU will be back in action when they go on the road to take on Kansas on Thursday at 7:30 p.m.