wvu hoyas score

Coming off their first win of the season, the WVU women’s soccer team was downed by the 11th-ranked Georgetown Hoyas, 2-0, Sunday afternoon. The result keeps Georgetown without a loss on the season.

The winning goal of the game came off of a kick by Georgetown junior Meaghan Nally just minutes before the half. In the 76th minute, the Hoyas (4-0-2) were able to add an insurance goal off of the foot of graduate forward Kyra Carusa.

While WVU (1-2-3) had numerous opportunities in front of the Georgetown goal throughout the game, the Mountaineers simply could not take advantage.

In the first half, the Mountaineers were held to their lowest shot total of the season in a half—three, with only one being on goal. In the second half, more missed chances arose.

After adjusting to a more offensive attack in the second half, the Mountaineers improved their shot statistics to 14 total shots attempted for the game. Despite five of those being on target, none of them were able to reach the back of the net.

“They’re the eleventh best team in the country,” head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said about Georgetown after the game. “Obviously, they had a dynamic attack. I give a ton of credit to Georgetown and they way they finish their opportunities. Unfortunately, we didn’t respond to them. They have a great team.”

This was the first time this season in which the Mountaineers did not lead the match in shots. The 14 shots they put up was their second lowest tally of the season, barely inching out the 13 attempts they had against Penn State earlier this season.

Outside of the two goals allowed, the Mountaineers put up a strong defensive effort. The Hoyas attempted a total of 14 shots, with only five being on goal. One key defensive Mountaineer moment came early in the second half, as senior goalkeeper Rylee Foster prevented a Hoya goal off of a fastbreak—moving to her left and knocking it over the net. Foster finished the afternoon with five saves.

Up next, the Mountaineers travel to Clemson to take on the unranked Tigers on Friday night. The teams last met during the 2016 season, when WVU took the win against the then 8th-ranked Clemson squad 1-0.