The West Virginia golf team concluded play at the Big 12 Championship on Sunday with a 10th place finish.

The Mountaineers shot a three-day 24-over par for the tournament, including a nine-over par performance in the final round on Sunday.

Leading West Virginia in the tournament was sophomore Matthew Sharpstene, who shot an even par over the three days, with a four-under par outing in the final round.

“I couldn’t be more proud of him,” WVU head coach Sean Covich said of Sharpstene. “He followed the game plan, he hit the golf shots... Just played solid.”

Sharpstene shot a three-over par 73 in the first round, but used three birdies to finish just one-over par in the second round. Entering the final round four-over par, the 6-foot-3 sophomore collected five birdies in the final to finish even-par for the tournament, and in 13th place overall.

The Mountaineers were in the ninth place entering Sunday with a 15-over par, but the 9-nine over par outing gave WVU the last-place finish, trailing Kansas in ninth place, which shot 20-over par for the tournament.

With Big 12 play over, the Mountaineers now must wait for the NCAA Selection Show, airing at 9 p.m. Wednesday on The Golf Channel, to see if they qualify for the NCAA Tournament.

“Obviously not the finish we wanted, but I think we’ve done enough this year to kind of build our resume,” Covich said. “I think we should be a lock for NCAA Regionals.”