women's bball sou

Tynice Martin led West Virginia in scoring over the past two games against Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.

The West Virginia women’s basketball team earned their second Big 12 victory of the season on Sunday afternoon as they beat Oklahoma 66-55.

West Virginia (11-4, 2-2 Big 12) was without four-year starter Katrina Pardee, as she was out with an ankle sprain sustained in the last WVU game, a win against Oklahoma State on Wednesday night.

Pardee is expected to miss three to six weeks with the injury, leaving the Mountaineers with only eight players to use in their rotation.

In Pardee’s absence, though, the rest of the Mountaineers stepped up.

Redshirt junior guard Tynice Martin led West Virginia with 20 points, 16 of which came in the first half. Lucky Rudd tied a career-high with 12 points.

Martin made seven of 14 shots, including four out of her nine three-pointers and also grabbed seven rebounds.

The Mountaineers were able to build a 12-point lead in the first quarter as Oklahoma (5-10, 1-3) made only 20 percent of their shots, with no makes coming from beyond the three-point line.

The Sooners held an early 4-3 lead in the quarter, but then went on an over four minute scoring drought. As a result, WVU was able to end the quarter on a 15-4 run and take an 18-6 lead into the second quarter.

The second quarter was much of the same for West Virginia as they continued to outplay Oklahoma.

The Mountaineers shot 50 percent from the field in the second quarter, with 57 percent coming from three-point range, and outscored the Sooners by eight.

After outscoring OU by 10 in the first quarter, and eight in the second, West Virginia held a 38-20 lead at halftime.

In the second quarter, Oklahoma shot 40 percent, but it had 11 turnovers in the first half that WVU was able to turn into 16 points.

The Mountaineers also turned the ball over at a high rate in the first half as they finished with 13 turnovers, but Oklahoma was only able to turn them into six points.

Once the second half began, the Sooners were instantly able to cut into the WVU lead as the Mountaineers began the half with only three makes on their first eight attempts.

Oklahoma was even able to get the WVU lead down to single digits with five minutes left in the game, but the Mountaineers came back and extended their lead once again.

West Virginia finished the game out-rebounding Oklahoma 46-35, with 19-8 coming offensively, which led to a 16-2 advantage in second-chance points for the Mountaineers.

Freshman guard Taylor Robertson led Oklahoma in scoring with 13 points and two Sooners came in second with 12 apiece.

Freshmen Madisen Smith and Kari Niblack led West Virginia in assists and rebounds, at six and nine, respectively.

West Virginia now returns home for a one-game homestand against 20th-ranked Iowa State on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Correction: The game was held on Sunday, not Saturday.