Sports

The West Virginia cross country team returns to Lubbock, Texas on Saturday hoping to take home the Big 12 title.

"The Big 12 is the best that it’s ever been since we’ve been part of it," said WVU head coach Sean Cleary. "I think there are a few teams that have a legit shot at getting to the national finals."

WVU will race against the nine other Big 12 programs, highlighted by the reigning Big 12 champion and No. 18 Oklahoma State.

"The way I speak is less about what place we want to be in," Cleary said, "I really just want to gain the momentum we had at Lehigh."

Cleary expects all 10 runners to have strong performances.

"We’ve had the entire group step up each time we’ve raced this season," Cleary said, "I expect them all to step up and one through 10 to run the best race that they have run all season."

The last time WVU raced on The Rawls Course at Texas Tech, it left with a victory and a first place finish from junior Jillian Forsey and a second place finish from junior Maggie Drazba.

"Obviously our leadership has been led by Jillian Forsey and Maggie Drazba and I see that continuing," Cleary said.

WVU had a two-week training period since its last meet and intends to put the training to the test on Saturday.

"We’ve stayed on track with what we have been doing all year," Cleary said. "We’ve worked very, very hard on Tuesday afternoons and Monday mornings and that’s what we’ve stuck to. Our girls are confident in themselves so we’ll go run hard and see what happens."