WVU Gymnastics

Members of the WVU gymnastics team huddle before a 2015 meet.

The West Virginia University gymnastics team will travel west to Iowa to compete in a meet against the Cyclones of Iowa State University today.

The Mountaineers are entering this match coming off a week where they didn’t compete.

"We let the team rest up last week, but we opened this week with intense practices on Sunday and Monday," said WVU head coach Jason Butts to WVUSports.com. "I believe the team is ready for any challenge that may present itself this weekend."

The most recent meet for WVU was against William and Mary on Jan. 24. With each gymnast who preformed on floor earning a score of at least 9.775 or above, the Mountaineers were able to earn their season-best score on floor with a score of 49.3. WVU took the win for that meet, with the ending final scores of 195.8-190.075.

Sophomore Zaakira Muhammad earned first place on all-around, with the score of 39.325.

Junior Alexa Goldberg, with an all-around score of 38.325, was able to place second behind her teammate.

The Cyclones are also coming into this match coming off a win against North Carolina State and Lindenwood.

Iowa State received first place, earning the score of 195.650. NC State came in second place with the score of 194.475 and Lindenwood landed in third place with a 194.250.

Cyclone sophomore Haylee Young earned the score of 39.225 on all-around, which gave her first place in the match.

"We will see a few lineup changes this weekend, but nothing drastic," Butts said. "I’m excited to see a few new routines in competition."

After today’s meet, the Mountaineers will travel again to compete in another meet on Sunday against Oklahoma. The match will be Oklahoma’s second match of the weekend as well.

The Sooners are entering this match with a big win, recently competing in a match with four other competitors.

They reserved first place at the Metroplex Challenge, with a final score of 197.550. LSU followed behind them, earning second place with a score of 196.750. Third place went to Washington with a score of 196.175, Stanford received fourth place with a score of 196.075 and Missouri placed fifth with a score of 195.825.

In the all-around, junior Chayse Capps earned the score of 39.575, which placed her second for the match.

"I definitely think we’re going to carry more confidence into this weekend," Butts said. "We need to take the ‘West Virginia Show’ on the road and fight for the scores. We have an opportunity to make up some huge ground in the rankings this weekend, and I’m excited about it."