The West Virginia (1-0-0) women’s soccer team started the season on a high note with a 2-0 season opening victory over Duquesne (0-1-0).

The Mountaineers finished the night with 21 total shots including five on goal. Head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown was happy with the amount of shots but said that she would’ve liked to have seen more shots on goal.

“We found the back of the net twice,” Izzo-Brown said. “I wasn’t expecting us to have only five shots on goal when you strike the ball 21 times.”

While West Virginia ended with 21 total shots, Duquesne couldn’t muster a single shot as they finished with zero total in the season opener. There were a few times late in the game where the Dukes had opportunities to get a shot off, but they could not deliver.

“I thought we dealt well with their counterattack and I definitely thought they were dangerous up the middle of the field, but we did a good job denying penetration and also finding the next pass off the transition,” Izzo-Brown said.

Senior forward Jade Gentile was the first Mountaineer to score for WVU in the 2019 season as she put them on the board at the in the 28th minute with an assist from sophomore defender Jordan Brewster. Freshman defender Julianne Vallerand wrapped up the night with an unassisted goal in the 85th minute.

WVU will have a quick turnaround this weekend with a match on Sunday against No. 3 Stanford at the Penn State Invitational in University Park, Pennsylvania.

“We have to take everything we have and focus towards Stanford. Obviously they are a (2018) Final Four team and they have a enough firepower to get back there,” said Izzo-Brown.