WVU Golf Greenbrier

WVU golfers walk down the fairway to their balls at the Greenbrier Resort.

The West Virginia golf team traveled to Gainesville, Florida over the weekend to compete in the Florida Gators Invitational. The Mountaineers finished eighth, shooting 21-over par.

The star for WVU this week was junior Etienne Papineau as he fired a three day total of 211 (69-70-72) putting him in the 15th spot overall.

Senior Max Sear started strong with a one-under par, 69. Sear carded an even par, 70 on day two, but struggled in the third round and carded a 75.  His 69-70-75 for 214 total put Sear in a tie for 26th place.

Sophomore Matthew Sharpstene turned in an impressive 69 for the first round, but had his challenges in round two and three with a 74-73. His 216 total put Sharpstene in 34th place in the field.

Although the Mountaineers did not perform as a team how they hoped, WVU head coach Sean Covich still saw positives from the tournament.  

“Obviously not our best day today, but I saw some guys fighting for every shot,” Covich said. “Anytime you play a brand-new golf course there’s a learning curve. We certainly leave here with some things to work on.”

Currently ranked 38th in the NCAA, WVU finished 8th in Gainesville. Third-ranked Vanderbilt took first place and the host 33rd-ranked Florida finished just short of Vanderbilt to place second.

Next week West Virginia is back in Florida to participate in the Seminole Intercollegiate on Saturday and then at the Golden Eagle Country Club on Sunday.