Through the wind and rain, the West Virginia Mountaineers secured the victory in their final regular-season match of the 2019 season over the TCU Horned Frogs, 2-1. 

TCU (10-6-2, 4-3-2) took the lead at the 31st minute off a goal from sophomore forward Messiah Bright. The Horned Frogs led for the rest of the match until the 76:52 mark. 

That was when WVU (10-6-2, 5-3-1) scored two goals in 23 seconds to take the lead for the first time. Sophomore forward Lizzie Mayfield tied the game at the 77th minute with an assist from freshman Gabby Robinson. 

Twenty-three seconds later, sophomore forward, Alina Stahl put West Virginia in the lead, 2-1. Junior Stefany Ferrer-vanGinkel was credited with the assist. The Mountaineers hung on to get the win, 2-1 over TCU. 

Head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown was happy with how her team fought throughout the night to set up the win late in the second period. 

“For us to score two goals in 30 seconds was incredible,” Izzo-Brown said. “This team was gritty, they knew what was at stake and they wanted to make a statement with 10 wins.”

West Virginia finished the match with 16 total shots with five on goal. TCU totaled eight shots with three on goal. 

Four seniors played their final matches at Dick Dlesk Stadium Thursday night. Jade Gentile, Jessica Lisi, Kayla Morrison, and goalkeeper Rylee Foster all played in their final home matches in the gold and blue.

The victory was West Virginia’s third in its last four matches. Izzo-Brown explained the importance of the late surge before the Big 12 tournament. 

“We always want to be peaking at the right time,” Izzo-Brown said. “With that momentum and with the wins, its definitely a place where we want to be moving forward.”

The Mountaineers next match will be in the Big 12 quarterfinal on Sunday, Nov. 3.