wvu purdue score

In their first contest in the 2018 Boilermaker Challenge Cup, the 25th-ranked West Virginia Mountaineers women’s soccer team finished in a 1-1 draw with the unranked Purdue Boilermakers Friday night.

Despite leading the way in the shot column, the Mountaineers (0-1-2) were working from behind after a Purdue goal in the 74th minute of regulation. The Mountaineers ended up righting the ship after a header from senior midfielder Grace Cutler reached the back of the net, resulting in a 1-1 score after 90 minutes.

Late in the second session of overtime, a shot by senior defender Bianca St. Georges ruffled some feathers although it went high above Purdue goalkeeper Katie Luce. Thus, after two full sessions of overtime, the match was officially called a draw.

The match was chock full of shot opportunities for the Mountaineers, as they totaled for 24 shots—15 more than the Boilermakers (1-0-1). For the Mountaineers, seniors Nadya Gill and Bianca St. Georges led the way with five and four shots, respectively.

However, with that many shot attempts also comes wasted opportunities. Both teams each had scores in regulation that were brought back due to penalties. For the Mountaineers, a shot by sophomore forward Lauren Segalla, which was brought back due to an offsides call, could have given the team their first win for the 2018 campaign.

On the defensive side of the ball, junior goalkeeper Rylee Foster finished with four saves on the night.

The draw marks the first time in program history that WVU has been winless through its first three games.

The Mountaineers return for their second match of the Boilermaker Challenge Cup on Sunday and look for their first win of the season when they take on Northwestern. This will be the first time the two teams face off with one another since the 2015 season, when the Mountaineers defeated the Wildcats by a final of 4-0.