WVU Golf Greenbrier

WVU golfers walk down the fairway to their balls at the Greenbrier Resort.

The West Virginia golf team is nearing the end of its season with only two more guaranteed tournaments remaining. The team will travel to University Park, Pennsylvania this weekend to participate in the Rutherford Intercollegiate tournament hosted by Penn State.

The Mountaineers will have a two-week break after the Rutherford Tournament before they are tasked with hosting the Big 12 championship at The Greenbrier in White Sulfur Springs, West Virginia. The tournament starts April 26 and runs through April 28.

West Virginia has struggled so far this year in Big 12 play as the team picked up a win against Iowa State and tied with Kansas, but fell short in its matches with Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and TCU.

As of late, sophomore Matthew Sharpstene has been playing very well for the team, including picking up his third top-10 finish of the year at the Irish Creek Collegiate. In the Irish Creek Collegiate, Sharpstene finished 6th with a 54-hole total of 209 for a four-under par.

The team closed out the Irish Creek Collegiate with a score of three-under par which was good enough for a top-10 finish. The University of North Carolina at Greensboro finished first with an impressive 18-under par.

For the Mountaineers, they hope that the recent success of Sharpstene can help give them a chance to win the Big 12 championships, which would give them an automatic bid for the national championship tournament. However if WVU loses, there is still a chance for it to be put into a regional by the selection committee.