The West Virginia tennis team finished off a successful weekend of competition against Ball State, Delaware, and Navy on Sunday with 14 total wins in the Martha Thorn Invitational in Morgantown.

The Mountaineers picked up five wins on Friday, winning out against Delaware in doubles while taking two singles victories against Ball State. 

The doubles pairings were shuffled throughout the competition, with junior Anne-Sophie Courteau and freshman Kat Lyman securing a 6-3 win against Delaware’s Caragh Courtney and Jojo Bach, WVU senior Sofia Duran and sophomore Nicole Roc beating Delaware’s Viva Laas and Eliza Askarova, 6-4, and WVU junior Giovanna Caputo teaming up with sophomore Anastasiia Bovolskaia to defeat Delaware’s Sarah Whited and George Washington’s Alexandra Vesikallio. 

In singles play on day one, both Courteau (6-4, 7-6) and Lyman (4-6, 6-4, 10-7) won their matches for the Mountaineers against Ball State’s Amy Kaplan and Jessica Braun, respectively. 

In other results, Caputo fell to Victoria Sec (4-6, 3-6), Roc was defeated by Rebecca Herrington (4-6, 6-3, 6-10), Livia Lukacs got the better of Bovolskaia (6-4, 6-4), and Duran dropped her match to Emma Peeler (3-6, 0-6).  

West Virginia kept up their momentum into day two on Saturday, gaining another five wins against Navy. Three of those victories came in doubles play, with Duran and Roc beating two duos in Tina Li and Samantha Choi (7-5) along with Amanda Cyr and Jillian Taggart (6-4). Caputo and Bovolskaia also won against Cyr and Taggart (6-4), while Courteau and Lyman dropped their matches to Meghana Komarraju and Katreina Corpuz (5-7) and Aimee Dervishian and Annalise Klopfer (6-7). 

The Mountaineers and the Midshipmen split singles play with two victories each. Courteau defeated Komarraju (7-5, 6-2), Bovolskaia won against Klopfer (7-5, 6-4), Kacey Moore won against Lyman (6-1, 6-2), and Choi defeated Duran (6-7, 6-3, 11-9) to conclude day two.

On Sunday, the Mountaineers participated in singles play only against Navy. West Virginia took all four matches with Courteau defeating Taggart (5-7, 6-2, 14-12), Lyman beating Dervishian (6-3, 6-2), Bovolskaia winning against Danika Kahatapitiya (6-2, 6-0), and Duran prevailing against Li (6-1, 6-2). 

The Mountaineers will next play in Blacksburg, Virginia, from Oct. 25-29 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Atlantic Regionals.