Will Grier adjusting his helmet strap before his play.

With the 84th annual NFL Draft kicking off on Thursday, many former Mountaineers are expected to find homes at the next level.

Six members of the West Virginia football team participated in February’s NFL Combine and are expected to hear their name called. 

Will Grier, rated as one of the top quarterbacks available, is projected to be one of the first Mountaineers to come off the board. During his two years as the starting quarterback at WVU, Grier threw for 7,354 yards and 71 touchdowns while completing 65.7% of his passes. 

Yodny Cajuste, WVU’s former starting left tackle, was named Big 12 Conference Co-Offensive Lineman of the Year following the 2018 season. He is currently working through recovery after having surgery to repair his quad muscle in late March.

David Sills is one of two WVU wide receivers that made an appearance at the Combine. Despite transferring to El Camino College for his sophomore season before returning to Morgantown, Sills started in 26 games wearing the old gold and blue. Sills’ 35 career touchdowns are second most all-time in the history of the WVU football program.

Also climbing up record boards during his time at West Virginia is Gary Jennings, who is currently sixth in program history in receiving yards with 2,294. Despite hauling in only one touchdown during his junior season, Jennings will finish his WVU career with 17 total scores.

David Long, the lone defender of the Combine invitees, started in 31 games over three seasons with the Mountaineers. The linebacker led the team in tackles last season with 111, while the next closest defender had only 77.

Trevon Wesco, who was named All-Big 12 First Team tight end last season, hauled in 26 catches for 366 yards last season. In addition to playing tight end, Wesco is being looked at by some teams as a potential fullback.

Nine other WVU football players participated in West Virginia’s March Pro Day and could also find homes in the NFL. They are wide receiver Dominique Maiden, offensive linemen Joe Brown and Isaiah Hardy, defensive linemen Kenny Bigelow Jr., Jabril Robinson and Ezekiel Rose, safeties Dravon Askew-Henry and Toyous Avery, and punter Billy Kinney.

All three days of draft festivities will be broadcast, live from Nashville, Tennessee, on ABC, ESPN and NFL Network. The first round will take place on Thursday at 8 p.m., followed by rounds two and three on Friday at 7 p.m. and rounds four through seven on Saturday at noon.