The Mountaineers began their trip through Oklahoma Friday night with a stop in Stillwater for a matchup with No. 9 Oklahoma State. The Cowboys proved to be too much for the Mountaineers as they won eight of the ten matches for a 37-9 victory.

The first match of the night was the 125-pound class with No. 4 Nick Piccininni of Oklahoma State needed only three minutes to score 20 points off of West Virginia’s Joey Thomas leading to an early tech fall and five points for the Cowboys.

Next up, Lucas Seibert was unable to get anything going in the 133-pound class, losing by tech fall to Reece Witcraft — giving the Cowboys a 10-0 lead after only two matches.

In the 141-pound weight class, Caleb Rea of West Virginia fought hard to keep it close with Dusty Hone, but Rea was unable to pull out the win and fell by decision to 7-2. 

With a large lead already in hand after only three matches, Oklahoma State’s Boo Lewallen set foot on the mat. In only one minute and ten seconds, Lewallen was able to pin Liam Lusher and earn another six points for the Cowboys, giving them a 19-0 lead.

Over the next four matchups, the Cowboys added another 18 points with three major decisions and one fall. 

In the 197-pound weight class came the most anticipated matchup of the day between No. 11 Dakota Geer of Oklahoma State and No. 2 Noah Adams. However, the match did not last long, with Adams forcing a pin in only one minute and seven seconds.

In the 285-pound class, Brandon Ngati and Cornelius Putnam brought the match to a sudden-death overtime round. 32 seconds into the round, Ngati was able to get a takedown and come away with the win for the Mountaineers, bringing the final count to 37-9.

Next up, the Mountaineers will stay in Oklahoma for a matchup with the Oklahoma Sooners on Sunday. The match will begin at 2 p.m.