The No. 22 West Virginia (2-2-1) women’s soccer team handled all No. 8 Penn State (3-1-1) threw at it, but it wasn’t enough as the two teams tied 1-1 on Friday night.

After Penn State scored late in the first period to take a 1-0 lead into halftime, the Mountaineers came out swinging in the second. Sophomore forward Alina Stahl scored her first goal of the season in the 50th minute with an assist from freshman defender Julianne Vallerand. The goal was Stahl’s first of the season.

“It feels great just to finally score, but I couldn’t have done it without the whole team pushing behind me,” said Stahl.

The Mountaineers had multiple opportunities throughout the night with five shots on goal and 21 shots total. The Nittany Lions had just 11 total shots, but seven on goal. 

West Virginia head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown found the lack of scoring to be a disappointment.

“Sometimes it takes a little bit of something extra, but it’s also something we have to focus on,” Izzo-Brown said. “Those are tremendous opportunities and we saw the net a couple of times and we just couldn’t get it done.”

WVU had a concerning moment occur early in the first period as junior forward Lauren Segalla went down with an apparent lower leg injury. Her status is currently unknown.

“That would probably be the biggest disappointment of the night if we don’t have Lauren (Segalla) for the rest of the season, but we’ll know more tomorrow,” Izzo-Brown said. 

The Mountaineers get a much needed rest as their next match isn’t until September 12 against Stony Brook at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.