wvu nw score

For the third game of their four game season thus far, the 25th-ranked West Virginia University women's soccer team played a draw, this time a scoreless one, against 18th-ranked Northwestern.

West Virginia (0-1-3) still managed to out-shoot the Wildcats 32-6, including 10-2 on-goal.

“I tell this team all the time – soccer is a game of inches,” WVU head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said. “We’re hitting posts, and we’re creating chances. The ball is going to go in. Unfortunately, we played a great game today, we just didn’t finish. We are a program that’s here to win. Northwestern is a very dynamic team. For us to keep them to just two shots on-goal was something we feel good about because they are such a good team. We know we were good enough to win today.”

West Virginia had a couple of really good opportunities in extra time, but could not convert. The first, a header by Grace Cutler, skimmed of the net and went out of play in the 95th minute. The second, a Sh'Nia Gordon shot from the penalty box, was saved by goalkeeper Mackenzie Wood of Northwestern (3-0-1).

Gordon led WVU with seven shots, four on-goal. Nadya Gill followed up with six, Lauren Segalla had four.

Wildcat goalie Wood had 10 saves. Rylee Foster saved two for West Virginia.

The Mountaineers, winless through four games for the first time since 2012, will return to Morgantown for their home opener on Thursday against Xavier.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).