After a strong start in the first two rounds, the Mountaineer golf team finished tied for third with Louisville at this week’s Old Town Club Collegiate Invitational. 

The Mountaineers were only bested by the tournament winner, Washington, and the No. 1 team in the country, Wake Forest. 

"It was a great job this week by everyone. It was a team effort," WVU head coach Sean Covich said. "We look forward to hosting our home event at Pete Dye Golf Club in a few weeks."

The team was led by senior Etienne Papineau, who scored an impressive 70-68-65, for a total score of 203, which was good enough for seven-under-par and sixth place overall. The score was a new program record, beating the old score of 206. 

As a whole, the team carded two of the lowest scores in program history in rounds one and two, with scores of 274 and 273, which saw all five Mountaineers placed in the top-25 of the tournament. 

Junior Matthew Sharpstene and freshman Nico Lang also scored well for the Mountaineers, shooting 67-69-72 for 208 and 70-68-71 for 209, respectively, which placed Sharpstene tied for 16th and Lang tied for 20th.

Both junior Mark Goetz and senior Philipp Matalari shot 211, for one-over-par and a shared tie of 29th place together, which meant that all five of the Mountaineers placed in the top-30.

Next tournament for the Mountaineers sees them return home to Bridgeport, W.Va, where they will host the annual Health Plan Mountaineer Invitational at the Pete Dye Golf Club on Oct 7-8.