wvu natatorium

Oct. 6, 2017; The WVU Natatorium during the West Virginia State Games

West Virginia senior diver Logan McHenry is preparing for his next challenge of the season in zone meets.

Hailing from Ventnor City, N.J., McHenry started diving at Atlantic City High School, but has been in aquatic sports for most of his life.

Learning to dive from his father, a former diver in his day, McHenry considers his dad as his role model.

"He has a really good work ethic," McHenry said.

While still in high school, McHenry was captain for three years and earned two all-state selections, as well as MVP honors.

When it came time to choose a college, McHenry came on a recruiting trip to Morgantown. The academic prestige and team camaraderie was impressive to McHenry.

"West Virginia had the best team chemistry," McHenry said. "They really made it feel like a family on the team."

Over the years, McHenry gathered a lot of experience while on the WVU Diving team. When McHenry was a freshman he earned All-Big 12 honors with a fifth-place finish on the three-meter dive with a preliminary score of 309.85 and scoring a season-best on the one-meter dive with a score of 274.04 against TCU.

Moving into his sophomore year, McHenry accomplished many things for the Mountaineers, such as finishing 21st on the platform while scoring 218.05 at the NCAA Zone Championships, placing third on the three-meter dive with a score of 275.80 and placing eighth on the platform, scoring 221.50 at Ohio State.

McHenry’s junior year brought him more accolades as he was named to the All-Big 12 First Team in the three-meter dive and All-Big 12 Second Team in the one-meter dive.

So far in his senior year, McHenry has been named to the All-Big 12 First Team and named Big 12 Diver of the Week on Oct. 19, while also finishing third on the one-meter dive at the Big 12 Championships with a score of 330.15. He also won the one-meter dive against Pitt on Jan. 18 with a score

of 317.77.

This upcoming meet for McHenry is similar to regionals for the NCAA. This meet is more pointed toward the individual diver.