two men soccer players going for the ball

Sept. 25, 2018; Rushawn Larmond dribbling against Radford

The West Virginia men’s soccer team began their three-match homestand Tuesday night with a 4-1 loss to Radford.

The loss marks the first in three matches for the Mountaineers, and also broke the team’s recent shutout string of two consecutive matches.

The Mountaineers hadn’t surrendered more than one goal in a match all season before tonight and have now surrendered nine opponent goals on the season.

In the first half of action, Radford (1-5) bested their season mark of two goals with three goals coming in the half from forwards Kieran Roberts and Anadou Diop, and midfielder Victor Valls.  

Valls opened up the scoring for the Highlanders in the ninth minute which marked his first goal on the season. Only seven minutes later in the 16th minute, Roberts chipped into the effort chipping a shot over Steven Tekesky’s head which also marked Roberts’ first goal of the season.

Then in the 35th minute, Diop dribbled through a load of defenseman to score the Highlander’s third goal of the night.

The Mountaineers (5-4) came out of the gates sloppy committing seven fouls and three offsides overall. West Virginia was also only able to get 11 shots off compared to Radford’s 18 shots on the night.

“I thought that we were poor from the second I walked in the locker room pregame, this was not a West Virginia performance and it will be fixed” explained head coach Marlon LeBlanc on his team’s performance Tuesday night.

In the 53rd minute of the second half, Diop scored his second goal of the night off a free kick due to West Virginia midfielder Sebastian Garcia Herrero’s yellow card, extending the match to 4-0.

Only three minutes later defenseman Pascal Derwaritsch put the Mountaineers on the board off a header delivered from defenseman Albert Andres Llop in the 56th minute. The goal marked Derwaritsch’s fourth on the season.

West Virginia was again without their assists leader, Joey Piatczyc who missed his second match after being sidelined last Tuesday against Cincinnati, as well as sophomore forward Tsubasa Takada.

“With no Piatczyc, no Takada you can see where we lack leadership and you can see where we lack some character and Joey is all of those things for us” said LeBlanc.

West Virginia will set their sights on getting back on track when they face Delaware on Saturday at 7 p.m.