Rifle

Mar. 11, 2017; The WVU rifle team celebrates their national championship

The five-time defending national champion West Virginia rifle team will visit the White House on Friday.

President Donald Trump will host multiple collegiate national champions, including the Mountaineers, at a luncheon.

“We’re incredibly excited. This is a huge honor and a privilege to attend an event like this,” West Virginia head coach Jon Hammond said. “This is a recognition of the team’s success this past season and our win at the 2017 National Championship. A lot of people may only get this opportunity once in their lives, and our team gets to make its second trip in three years. We’re very excited.”

This will be the WVU rifle team's second-ever White House visit and their first since 2014.

“We are proud of our fifth straight rifle National Championship and 19th overall. Winning a National Championship as a student-athlete is a lifetime memory,” WVU athletic director Shane Lyons said. “Having NCAA Champions Day at the White House allows our program, and all of the champions from last year, to be recognized nationally for their outstanding accomplishment.”

The Mountaineers' fall season has already concluded, their next match is at home against Akron on Jan. 14.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).