The West Virginia rifle team opened up their regular season home schedule against TCU on Saturday morning, shooting an identical total aggregate score of 4,708 on the day.

The Mountaineers prevailed for the victory however when they outshot the Horned Frogs in center shots, 311-293 to cap the long day of shooting for both teams.

TCU (2-1) took home the crown in the small-bore competition to begin the day while outlasting West Virginia, 2334-2326. 

Morgan Phillips highlighted the West Virginia (2-0; 1-0 GARC) effort in the first half of the day while shooting 589 points in the small-bore while placing first overall, followed by Milica Babic’s 582 points in the small-bore portion for the Mountaineers.

Stephanie Grundsoe, Kristen Hemphill and Liz Marsh each totaled 585 points in the small-bore section of the meet for TCU while the trio was able to outshoot most of the top West Virginia small-bore competitors for second through fifth place.

West Virginia was then able to claim victory in the air rifle section of the contest, knocking off TCU, 2382-2374.

As the day transitioned into the air rifle portion of the contest, Milica Babic continued to dominate for the Mountaineers while shooting 589 total points in the second half of the day. Babic’s team leading total was followed by Akhito Shimuzu and Sarah Osborn who each totaled 595 points apiece and placed fourth and fifth, respectively.

"Akihito looked more comfortable today," Hammond said. "I think he is going to continue to improve all year. He wants to get better, and I think he is going in the right direction. Sarah also had a very strong performance in air rifle today."

TCU was led by Stephanie Grundsoe and Kristen Hemphill who each shot for a total of 596 points and placed second and third in air rifle, respectively.

Grundsoe and Hemphill took home the crowns for the overall individual totals as the pair of Horned Frogs each shot for 1,181 points overall. Babic and Phillips placed third and fourth overall on the day for the Mountaineers while shooting 1,181 points apiece.

"We had a really tough match competing against the defending National Champions," 14-year coach Jon Hammond said. "After 4800 shots, we ended up tied. That's incredible. It shows they are a tough team. We are really going to have to push ourselves to get better throughout the year."

The only other pair of Mountaineers to reach the leaderboards on the day included David Koenders with 1,169 points and Malori Brown who totaled 1,164 points on the day.

West Virginia’s next challenge will see the Mountaineers travel to Ole Miss on November 2 before hitting the road again to take on Memphis on November 3 which will round out the weekend set.