The WVU rifle team followed up a second-place effort in the smallbore competition on Friday with another strong performance in Saturday’s action.

West Virginia earned a two-day score of 4693 to finish in second place overall in the GARC Championships held in Memphis, Tennessee. They finished behind only the Kentucky Wildcats, the team that handed them a loss on Feb. 15 in Morgantown. 

Jared Eddy led the way for the Mountaineers in the air rifle category with a score of 204.9, earning him a fourth place finish. 

Milica Babic and David Koenders followed right behind Eddy in fifth and sixth place with scores of 184.3 and 163.3, respectively.

Sarah Osborn finished in seventh-place with a score of 142.4. Osborn carried the Mountaineers as she earned the highest combined score (1180) of the two competitions.

Morgan Phillips and Verena Zaisberger earned counting scores of 591 and Akihitu Shimizu earned a counting score of 590.

West Virginia coach Jon Hammond was proud of the fight and effort shown by his team, believing the competition was a good way to prepare for the upcoming NCAA Championships.

“Kentucky shot great, but we had four individuals in the final,” Hammond said. “That was a positive for us, especially with Sarah and Jared's performances.”

The Mountaineers will head to Lexington, Kentucky, as they will compete for the NCAA Championship on March 13-14.