One day after defeating the No. 6 Murray State Racers and No. 10 Ohio State Buckeyes, the No. 3 WVU rifle team continued their hot start to the season with victories against No. 2 Air Force and No. 9 Nebraska.

Continuing the first-ever series of matches in the WVU Coliseum, they shot a season-high 4712 on route to today’s victory, while the Falcons came in second with a 4686 total. The Cornhuskers finished in third place with a 4660 total.

The match opened up with smallbore competition in which West Virginia racked up a score of 2345, which was good enough for first place. The Falcons finished in second place with a score of 2322. The Cornhuskers came in third place with a 2302 finish.

Leading the way for the Mountaineers in smallbore was Milica Babic, who placed in first with a score of 589. Morgan Philips placed in second, posting a score of 586, Ginny Thrasher finished in third place with a score of 585 and Sarah Osborn finished in fourth place with the identical score. Jared Eddy came in seventh place with a score of 583, and Will Anti came in 10th place with a score of 579.

Leading the Mountaineers in air rifle was Thrasher with a score of 595 for a narrow first place finish. Babic came in third place with a score of 593, Eddy came in sixth place with a score of 592, Anti followed suite with a 590 score and a seventh place finish, and David Koenders came in tenth place with a final score of 589.

“Everyone shot well at the same time today, and it was a nice smallbore performance from this team," WVU head coach Jon Hammond said. "It was good for us to see our full capabilities.”

With a complete sweep of both teams today the Mountaineers went 4-0 over the past week, defeating some tantalizing foes, including No. 2 Air Force. The Mountaineers improve to 6-0 on the season, as well as 19-0 all-time against Air Force and 14-3 against Nebraska.

The Mountaineers will be on the road next weekend as they will head up to West Point, New York, where they will square off against Army on Saturday at 8 a.m., and Coast Guard on Sunday at 8 a.m.