The West Virginia men’s soccer team defeated No. 15 Coastal Carolina on Friday night in a 5-2 offensive onslaught. 

For the Mountaineers, freshman forward Rodrigo Robles Grajera played a large role as he ended the night with his first career collegiate brace.

In the 37th minute, it was Robles Grajera who was able to beat Coastal Carolina goalkeeper Alberto Ciroi for the score — his first career collegiate goal.

Less than a minute later, on a cross from freshman midfielder Luke McCormick, Robles Grajera was able to use his head to knock the ball past Ciroi for his second goal of the game.

After the two scores, West Virginia (3-1-1) was ahead by a 2-1 score. Coastal Carolina had previously found the back of the net in the 32nd minute when midfielder Tyrone Mondi booted a shot past WVU goalkeeper Steven Tekesky. 

The second goal from Robles Grajera was quickly followed up by Andres Muriel Albino, who added a goal of his own in the 38th minute. In addition to McCormick getting his second assist of the game, senior midfielder Sebastian Garcia-Herreros also assisted the goal.

Coastal Carolina (2-2-0) attempted to rebound from the 3-1 deficit and was able to add a second goal in the 48th minute when junior forward Claudio Repetto successfully converted a penalty kick.

Unfortunately for the Chanticleers, their scoring stopped there. On the other hand, the Mountaineers’ offense kept rolling.

In the 69th minute, WVU sophomore forward Tony Pineda scored his first career goal on a wide open net. Senior defender Pascal Derwaritsch added WVU’s fifth goal of the game off of a corner kick from Muriel Albino in the 75th minute.

At the game’s end, the Mountaineers had outshot Coastal Carolina by a margin of 18-8 while also holding the advantage in shots on goal (six to four) and corner kicks (11 to one).

Next week, the Mountaineers will take on the Cincinnati Bearcats on Tuesday night at Cincinnati’s Gettler Stadium. The opening kick will come at 7 p.m.