matthew schmitt ndsu

Jan. 7, 2018; Matthew Schmitt wrestles NDSU's Cam Sykora

On Sunday, WVU redshirt sophomore Matthew Schmitt claimed his first career tournament win in the 133-pound weight class open division at this year’s Hokie Open in Roanoke, Virginia, along with 10 other Mountaineers that placed in the top-five.

WVU’s Zachary Moore won third place in the 157-pound weight class in the open division, notching two pins on the day and finishing with an 11-4 win by decision over Indiana’s Jake Danishek.

Sophomore Nick Kiussis also placed third in the open division in the 165-pound weight class, after going 4-1 and securing third place by pinning George Mason junior, Colston Diblasi.

Mountaineer redshirt junior David Smith earned himself a fifth-place finish in the heavyweight division, after losing early on in the day and later finishing with three pins, as he leads the team with four pins already this season.

As for the freshman/sophomore division, KJ Fenstermacher placed third with a win over Virginia Tech’s Kyle Norstrem in the 125-pound weight class after a 7-5 decision. 

WVU redshirt freshman Joey Thomas came in at fifth place in the freshman/sophomore 125-pound weight class, along with Mountaineer Josh Ramirez, who placed third in the 174-pound weight class for freshman and sophomores.

Redshirt freshman Noah Adams dominated the freshman/sophomore 197-pound weight class for WVU, with four consecutive wins by seven or more points each.

Mountaineer sophomore Hunter DeLong placed fourth in the 184-pound weight class while redshirt freshman heavyweight Sean Mullican came in fifth place, both competing in the freshman/sophomore division.

As for the rest of the Mountaineers, there were six other wrestlers competing in the Hokie Open on Sunday that didn’t place in the top five.

Schmitt made a name for himself at this year’s tournament after working his way to the finals through a series of wins via technical fall, by decision and by major decision. Once he got to the finals, Schmitt blew by Codi Russel, a redshirt freshman from Appalachian State, winning in a 13-3 major decision and taking home first place in the 133-pound open division.

“It was a great day,” said head coach Tim Flynn. “We needed guys to get a lot of bouts, and that is exactly what we got. Matt wrestled well to earn himself a first-place finish. Everyone competed hard today and that was what we wanted.”

The Mountaineers won’t see much action this week, but head north to Troy, New York to compete in their last open tournament this season, the 2018 Journeymen Collegiate Classic for the first time in two years. The tournament will start this Sunday, November 11th at 9:00 a.m.