In their second round matchup in the 2018 NCAA Tournament, the WVU women’s soccer team fought to a 2-2 draw with the Wake Forest Demon Deacons on Friday night.

After seven rounds of penalty kicks, Wake Forest came out on top—converting six of their shot attempts compared to WVU’s five.

From the opening kickoff, it was a fairly balanced battle as the teams combined to get off only four shots in the game’s early minutes. The scoring didn’t begin until the 30th minute when a header from sophomore Wake Forest forward Abby McNamara reached the back of the WVU net and gave the Demon Deacons a 1-0 lead.

The lead was short lived however as freshman West Virginia defender Jordan Brewster was able to boot the ball past the Wake Forest keeper in the 41st minute, thus, entering halftime with the teams tied at one.

Coming out for the second half, the Mountaineers (15-4-4, 1-0-1 in tournament) were able to return to their often-seen aggressive offensive play style.

Initially, the uptick in intensity only led to penalties as a yellow card was issued to senior forward Hannah Abraham in the 65th minute. Abraham’s yellow card was soon followed up on in the 75th minute as the entire Mountaineer team received the warning. Senior defender Bianca St. Georges eventually added a yellow card of her own in the game’s 82nd minute.

The increased aggression did not serve much of a benefit for the Mountaineers as senior Wake Forest midfielder Bayley Feist—the team’s goal leader—was able to sneak a header past junior WVU goalkeeper Rylee Foster in the 77th minute.

The game seemed to be all said and done in favor of Wake Forest (10-8-1, 1-0-1) until WVU countered with a goal in the 89th minute. Senior forward Nadya Gill was able to find fellow senior forward Sh’Nia Gordon for a score, bringing the matchup to a 2-2 score at the end of regulation.

After 10 minutes of overtime, neither team scored. There was no scoring in the second overtime period, either.

In penalty kicks, the teams were neck and neck after the initial five rounds. After a WVU miss in the seventh round, redshirt-freshman Wake Forest forward Hulda Arnarsdottir was able to sneak her shot into the goal and give the Demon Deacons the victory.

With the result, Wake Forest will move on to the third round of the NCAA Tournament and take on Penn State on Sunday. For West Virginia, their 2018 season is over.