McNeil

Mar. 25, 2017; Shamoya McNeil during her event-winning jump at the Raleigh Relays hosted by N.C. State

To conclude the WVU Track team's season, Shamoya McNeil competed in the triple jump at the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships on the campus of the University of Oregon.

McNeil placed 22nd of 24 competitors in Eugene, finishing with a mark of 12.70 meters.

With the finish, McNeil earns third-team All-American honors along with Amy Cashin, who finished 19th in the 3,000 meter steeplechase semifinals on Thursday.

“We are very proud of both Shamoya and Amy,” said WVU track & field coach Sean Cleary. “Amy began competing last September, while Shamoya began in December. To be standing at the NCAA Finals competing alongside the finest young athletes in the world is a tremendous achievement. While both wanted more from themselves this week, they do return home with the knowledge that they have the ability and belief that they will be back on this stage next year. Both will take this experience, along with their All-American awards and be much of motives the next time they stand on the track.”

The trip to Eugene marks the end of the season for the track team and the end of the WVU athletics season for the 2016-17 academic year.

Mountaineer athletics return to competition on August 7 when the women's soccer team plays at Michigan in an exhibition game.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.