North Carolina assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Bett Shelby will join the WVU women’s basketball program as an associate head coach, WVU head coach Mike Carey announced on Wednesday.

“We’re thrilled to have Bett join our staff,” Carey said. “Her reputation throughout the country as a recruiter and as a coach is impressive. We’re excited to have her in Morgantown and know she’ll do great things at West Virginia.”

Shelby comes to WVU having served as an assistant for a variety of schools since 2008. This will be her first stint in the Big 12 Conference.

“I am excited and humbled to join Coach Carey’s staff at WVU,” Shelby said. “Coach Carey is one of the nation’s elite women's basketball coaches and his teams always compete at the highest level with an incredible amount of toughness.”

A skilled recruiter, Shelby had put together top recruiting classes during her time in the Missouri Valley Conference and Ohio Valley Conference, according to the All-Star Girls report.

Shelby is replacing Chester Nichols who, after having been with the program in his current role since 2014, has departed for another position, according to the WVU athletic department.

“I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to represent not just the University, but the state of West Virginia,” Shelby said.