In their first conference match at home this season, the West Virginia volleyball team was defeated by the Oklahoma Sooners on Saturday afternoon, falling 3-1.

“I thought we were better than what we showed,” West Virginia head coach Reed Sunahara said. “It was disappointing that we came out like that. I thought our crowd was great and the energy was good, but we didn’t bring the energy within ourselves. Oklahoma took it to us.”

From the first set, it was a tough day for the Mountaineers.

Oklahoma (10-3, 2-0 Big 12) emerged from the first set with a 25-8 win — the largest set loss WVU has faced so far this season.

In the second set, the Mountaineers were able to narrow the gap but ultimately fell to the Sooners, 25-23.

West Virginia (8-6, 0-2) came out in the third set and was able to pick up their lone win of the day, 31-29.

Despite the momentum shift, the Mountaineers were unable to capitalize as they fell in the fourth set, 25-21.

Offensively, WVU was led by senior Katelyn Evans who was tops on the team with 12 kills. She was followed up by sophomore Kristin Lux, who ended the day with 10. Sophomore Lacey Zerwas tallied 38 assists.

Junior Alexa Hasting led the way on defense for West Virginia as she finished with 24 digs. With 11 digs, junior Lindsay Proctor was second for the team.

West Virginia will next hit the court on Oct. 5 when Iowa State travels to Morgantown. From the WVU Coliseum, the match will begin at 11 a.m.