Hard working, trust worthy and welcoming are just three simple words that describe Robyn Bernard.

Bernard is a sophomore and is one of the 15 girls on the West Virginia University gymnastics team.

Bernard started taking gymnastics classes when she was at the young age of four years old and started competing in competitions when she was around the age of eight.

After years of dedication and hard work, Bernard was able to become a four-time Junior Olympic National Championship qualifier.

Bernard was born and raised in Silver Spring, Maryland. With Morgantown less than four hours away, Bernard said that WVU not being too far from home was something she enjoyed about being at WVU.

Not only was the location ideal for Bernard, she had heard great things about the gymnastics team, from past teammates from the club team she participated in before she came to college.

“Everyone was really welcoming,” Bernard said. “It felt like home here.”

She loved what the gymnastics program stood for, and she felted immediately welcomed by the program.

During her freshman year as a WVU gymnast, she was able to a compete in all but one meet and finished the season with averages of 9.5 on beam, 9.564 on bars and 9.73 on vault.

According to WVUSports.com, Bernard’s coaches think very highly of her. “Coaches believe she possesses the talent and skill to score well in all four events.” Her coaches also told WVUSports that her “potential is limitless” and that her “fantastic practice habits help her excel on meet day.”

Bernard is currently majoring in exercise physiology major, and has recently declared a minor in business.

After college, she plans to go to continue her studies and attend a school for nursing. With her love and desire to travel, as well as the want to help others, she decided that becoming a traveling nurse would be a great choice for her.

Bernard is not only a student athlete, but she also is in a couple of clubs on campus. She is in WVU’s Exercise Physiology club and is also in the National Honors Society. With being in the National Honors Society, she is able to attend leadership events and help make a different around campus.

Bernard is a busy girl, but in her spare time, she enjoys to hang out with her teammates, read, write and do arts and crafts.

“I’m pretty excited about it,” Bernard said. “New Hampshire and us are kind of rivals when it comes to gymnastics.”

You can see Bernard in action this Sunday at 4 p.m. This match will be against New Hampshire University, and will be held at the WVU Coliseum.