Nadya Gill, Bianca St. Georges, Easther Mayi Kith and Vanessa Flores celebrates after St. Georges scored a goal.

The No. 16 West Virginia women’s soccer team capped off its three-game homestand on Sunday with a 2-1 victory over No. 13 Texas.

As has happened all season, WVU (8-3-3, 4-1 Big 12) was able to get plenty of chances early and often. In the third minute, Lauren Segalla crossed the ball into the box in which Hannah Abraham jumped on. Abraham’s free-swinging shot was saved by the Longhorns’ goalkeeper, Nicole Curry.

Lauren Segalla boxing out Texas defender.

Four minutes later, Segalla had another cross into the penalty area, but no one from WVU was on the receiving end of things. Abraham again got on the loose ball and pushed toward the box where there was contact, but no foul was called on UT.

In the span of three minutes, WVU had three more chances. Abraham had another shot in the box that was blocked followed by another missed chance inside 18 yards. Senior forward Sh’Nia Gordon hit the ball well, but it stayed rising and went just over the crossbar in the 16th minute.

Haley Berg found the back of the net first and got on the scoresheet for the fourth time this season. Off of a deflected shot in WVU’s box, the ball got past West Virginia keeper Rylee Foster to give Texas a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute.

Less than 10 minutes later, two seniors, Bianca St. Georges and Nadya Gill, connected with each other in Texas’ third of the field, but Gill could not get enough on the shot to test the goalie.

Bianca St. Georges celebrating with fans after a 2-1 win over Texas.

WVU recorded 13 shots in the first half, five of which were on goal, but could not find the back of the net. The Mountaineers also had the advantage in corner kicks in the first half, having four to Texas’ zero.

Not many of WVU’s shots in the first half did enough to test Curry in the Texas goal, as she did not make a save.

In the second half, West Virginia got off to a similar start as it did to start the game.

Six minutes in, Gordon had a shot that went in, but the senior was called offside.

In the 57th minute, Texas (10-2-2, 2-2-1) took a shot the deflected off the post that would have doubled UT’s lead.

Three minutes after, WVU got back-to-back corner kicks off of a great ball from Abraham to Segalla.

In the 77th minute, WVU finally found its breakthrough. From an Abraham cross, West Virginia was calling for a handball. The fourth official spotted it and called it, awarding a penalty kick to WVU. St. Georges stepped up to the spot and buried the spot kick.

St. Georges struck again in the 79th minute with an unassisted goal that came from within the box. The second goal of her brace proved to be the match-winner against the Longhorns.

WVU led Texas in shots, shots on goal and corner kicks. The Longhorns registered only three shots in the second half and none of them were on goal.

After the game, West Virginia honored its nine seniors: Sh’Nia Gordon, Nadya Gill, Vanessa Flores, Hannah Abraham, Easther Mayi Kith, Patricia Fernandez, Amanda Saymon, Grace Cutler and Bianca St. Georges.

WVU is back in action on Friday on the road against Iowa State. Kick-off is scheduled for 8 p.m.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.