WVU's Jack Frazier swims against George Washington on Feb. 1.

For the first time ever, the Big 12 Swimming and Diving Championship will be hosted in Morgantown.

The championship will be held on Feb. 26-29 at the recently opened Aquatic Center at Mylan Park. West Virginia’s swimming and diving team moved into the new aquatic center in the fall of 2019.

The championship will feature five Big 12 teams: West Virginia, TCU, Texas, Iowa State and Kansas. All five teams will compete on the women’s side while only WVU, TCU and Texas will compete for the men’s championship.

West Virginia’s men’s team finished with a 5-1 record this season, winning all five of their meets this spring. The Mountaineers defeated Pitt, SMU, TCU, Villanova and George Washington this year and lost to Penn State back in October.

WVU’s women’s team had a 3-3 record this season. The Mountaineers defeated TCU, Iowa State and George Washington while losing to Penn State, Pitt and Villanova.

The Texas Longhorns swept the 2019 Big 12 championships, winning on both the men’s and women’s sides. Both the Texas men’s and women’s teams beat Kentucky, Texas A&M, Arizona State, Arizona and SMU this year.

The TCU men’s team defeated Texas Permian Basin and Incarnate Word this year. It lost to SMU and WVU. The women’s team also beat Texas Permian Basin and Incarnate Word and lost to SMU, WVU and North Texas.

The Kansas Jayhawk women went 7-1 this year. They defeated South Dakota, Missouri State, Colorado State, Nebraska, William Jewell, Arkansas and and Iowa State while losing to Arizona State.

The Iowa State Cyclones went 5-5 this season, defeating Omaha, St. Catherine, South Dakota, Northern Iowa and North Texas. They lost to Nebraska, Rutgers, Iowa, WVU and Kansas.

Events begin everyday Wednesday through Saturday at the Aquatic Center starting at 10 a.m.

Former Asst. Sports Editor

Cody is a second-year graduate student in the journalism program from Mercer, Pennsylvania.