Coming off of two straight wins, the No. 17 WVU baseball team was unable to pick up the sweep as the Texas Longhorns fit in a 10-2 win on Sunday afternoon.

West Virginia (26-15, 10-8 Big 12) was able to strike first as, in the top of the second inning, freshman infielder Phillip Dull brought home a run off of an RBI single.

Despite the early score, the Mountaineers spent most of the day struggling to make anything else happen offensively against the Longhorns’ pitching staff.

Texas (25-21, 6-11 Big 12) was able to get on the board in the bottom of the second as freshman infielder Lance Ford connected on a pitch from WVU junior right-hander Kade Strowd for a two-run home run. The Longhorns added their third run of the game in the next inning after junior outfielder Austin Todd scored on a fielder’s choice double play.

West Virginia was able to counter slightly as junior outfielder TJ Lake drove in a run in the fourth inning with an RBI single.

The Mountaineers were unable to find the scoreboard again for the rest of the day.

Freshman Texas pitcher Ty Madden continued to pitch a strong game as, outside of the two runs, he held West Virginia scoreless for the rest of the day. In his six innings of work, Madden allowed only one earned run on six hits, striking out three and walking one — earning his fourth win of the season.

Despite the lead, Texas continued to add insurance runs.

Ford was able to score again after a WVU throwing error in the bottom of the fourth. That was soon followed up with two RBI singles, ballooning the Longhorns’ lead to four runs.

Strowd was pulled in the same inning after allowing four earned runs on five hits — earning his fifth loss of the season. After the bullpen took over, the pitching struggles continued.

The lead jumped up to eight after Ford hit a grandslam in the bottom of the sixth. He ended the day going 3-for-5 at the plate with a double, two home runs and six RBIs.

The deficit was too much for the Mountaineers to overcome.

The Mountaineers are off on Monday before taking on Marshall on Tuesday. The first pitch, coming from Monongalia County Ballpark in Morgantown, will come at 6:30 p.m.