In an early matchup on Saturday morning, the No. 4 seed West Virginia baseball team was defeated by No. 1 seed Texas Tech 10-3.

The Red Raiders exploded for a four-run fifth inning, creating a three-run deficit for the Mountaineers to try to dig themselves out of.

Texas Tech’s first run of the inning came when junior infielder Brian Klein drove in freshman outfielder Max Marusak, who reached scoring position after a hit by pitch and a passed ball.

With Klein on base, junior infielder Josh Jung connected for a two-run home run off of WVU starter Kade Strowd. Jung was the last batter Strowd would face as West Virginia head coach Randy Mazey went to his bullpen immediately afterwards.

After sophomore left-hander Jackson Wolf took the mound, Texas Tech was able to get two runners in scoring position, resulting in the inning’s fourth run scored on an RBI groundout from sophomore infielder Kurt Wilson.

WVU entered the fifth inning with a 3-2 lead as junior outfielder TJ Lake had connected for a solo home run in the fourth inning. Prior to the homer, sophomore infielder Tyler Doanes had scored on a throwing error in the first inning while also driving in a run off of an RBI lineout in the second inning.

The Red Raiders scored their first run of the game in the bottom of the first inning when junior infielder Brian Klein drove in sophomore outfielder Gabe Holt. A fielder’s choice in the second inning gave Texas Tech their second run.

Following the fifth inning explosion, the Red Raiders were able to add four more insurance runs — two in the seventh and two in the eighth — ultimately putting the game away.

West Virginia will rest for a few hours before playing in their second game on Saturday as they will once again take on Texas Tech. The winner of the 5 p.m. matchup will move on to the Big 12 Conference Championship on Sunday.