Junior Ginny Thrasher was named the WVU Athlete of the Week after more impressive showings.

It was a big week for Thrasher and the rest of her Mountaineer teammates. The West Virginia rifle team had back-to-back matches against No. 3 TCU on Saturday and against Army West Point on Sunday, winning both competitions.

Against TCU, Thrasher won both of the individual events. She matched her career-high in air rifle with a 599, also scoring a 593 in smallbore.

On Sunday versus Army, she one-upped herself in air rifle.

Thrasher won the individual air rifle once again, but did so this time by shooting a perfect 600. This accomplishment is something she has never done before in her collegiate career.

After scoring 599 six times prior, shooting a 600 was something Thrasher was aiming to do.

"Ginny has shot so many 599s throughout her college career, and 600 was something she was trying to achieve without focusing too much on it," said WVU Head Coach Jon Hammond.

Thrasher took second place in smallbore with a 589. She finished behind her teammate Morgan Phillips, who scored a career-high 590.

Ginny Thrasher has been a huge part of the Mountaineers’ success this season. She has been one of five Mountaineers to help make up their winning score in all six matches so far this season.

On top of her accomplishments at West Virginia, she was invited to compete in the ISSF World Cup late last month. This is an invitation only competition, and she got her invite because she took home a gold medal at the Rio Olympics last summer.

Thrasher was the only shooter representing the USA at the World Cup.

Ginny Thrasher look to continue their undefeated start to the season this weekend on the road for back-to-back matches. On Saturday, WVU faces Memphis and then travels to Murray, Kentucky to face Murray State on Sunday.

Matt is a senior from Cleveland, Ohio majoring in journalism with a double minor in sport communication and sport and exercise psychology. With his time at the DA, he has covered women's tennis, the rifle team, women's soccer, and football.