Ginny Thrasher

Ginny Thrasher poses with her rifle.

The West Virginia rifle team is off to another impressive start this season, boasting a 4-0 overall record overall, a 3-0 record in GARC play and a No. 2 national ranking.

A big part of WVU’s early success has been in part because of junior Ginny Thrasher.

This past weekend against Ole Miss, Thrasher won both individual events. She shot a 599 in air rifle (which matches her career-high) and shot a season-best 590 in smallbore.

Head Coach Jon Hammond has liked what he has seen out of Thrasher so far this season.

"Ginny has been working really hard… she is in a better groove," Hammond said. "The previous matches haven’t gone the way she hoped, but today was smoother."

Ginny has been one of the five Mountaineers in all four matches this season to help make up the team’s aggregate score.

Against Ohio State, when WVU shot an NCAA air rifle record, Thrasher and Milica Babic both shot a 598 and tied for first place.

In the match against Nebraska, Thrasher shot a WVU record 200 from the prone position in smallbore, which helped her score a 575. She again matched that same 200 prone mark this past week against Ole Miss en route to sweeping the individual events.

She has been a big part of the Mountaineers’ success this season along with the last two seasons, as well. Thrasher has contributed in every match so far this season and has helped make WVU rifle history.

In order for WVU to keep winning matches and for them to have another chance at a national championship, Thrasher has to keep contributing at the rate she is.

Thrasher and WVU return to action Nov. 4 against TCU.

Matt is a senior from Cleveland, Ohio majoring in journalism with a double minor in sport communication and sport and exercise psychology. With his time at the DA, he has covered women's tennis, the rifle team, women's soccer, and football.