Wrestling

Zeke Moisey attempts to take down a Clarion wrestler on Sunday.

Three Mountaineer wrestlers got bids for the Big 12 Championships, held at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma, this season.

Redshirt junior Zeke Moisey was one of seven wrestlers to earn a spot in 125. He finished the 2017-18 season with 20 wins, a team record. He has also recorded 28 takedowns and five pins, both team season records. To end the regular season, he was ranked at 12th in the polls. Moisey spent all of last season nationally ranked and was Big 12 Championship runner-up in 2014-15.

Redshirt senior Jake Smith was the second WVU bid. He was among four wrestlers to earn spots in 197. He is ranked 22nd nationally and concluded his final Mountaineer season with an 11-6 record. Smith is no stranger to the Big 12 Championships. He qualified sophomore, junior and redshirt junior seasons, but was also sidelined with an injury during the 2017 Big 12 Championships that precluded him from competing.

The last of the Mountaineer trio is redshirt freshman Matthew Schmitt. He was one of only five Big 12 competitors moving on to the national stage at 133. Schmitt has been in and out of the national rankings all year, but in the final regular season rankings, Schmitt was awarded a No. 24 ranking. In the coaches’ panel for the Big 12 Wrestling Championships, he found his place at No. 32. Schmitt also set a season record for most Mountaineer major decisions, ending the regular season with five. He also trails Moisey for most team wins this season, with 18.

The Big 12 Wrestling Championships will begin March 3 in Tulsa, Okla., at the Bok Center. WVU wrestlers got a week off from competition, but will be primed with the knowledge that three, or more, will go on to represent West Virginia University at the national level.