The West Virginia University track and field team traveled to University Park, Pennsylvania, this weekend for the team’s first two-day event, the Penn State National Open, competing against 32 other teams.

The first win of the competition on Friday for West Virginia came from sophomore Myesha Nott, who secured a victory in the triple jump event. WVU’s distance medley relay team of sophomore Hayley Jackson, freshman Amber Dombrowski, freshman Mikenna Vanderheyden and junior Antigone Archer earned second place in their event with a time of 11:40.52 to close out the first night of the two-day meet. 

It was a big Friday night for freshman Erica Hegele, who competed in the women’s pentathlon and finished in fifth place. She also posted the times of 2:32.92 in the 800-meter run and 9.29 in the 60-meter hurdles, while also posting distances of 1.36 meters in the high jump, 10.45 meters in the shot put and 4.92 meters in the long jump. 

On Saturday afternoon, sophomore Samantha Hatcher took fourth place in the women’s 1000m, while fellow sophomore Marianne Abdalah took third place in the women’s 3000m with a time of 10:07.19. Senior Candace Archer took first place in the women’s 1000m and posted a time of 2:52.49. 

This weekend’s meet is the first of two trips to Penn State for the Mountaineers. The team will return on Friday, Feb. 21, for the Penn State Tune-Up.