In a highly competitive affair, it was the No. 12 West Virginia women’s soccer team that came out on top over High Point on Friday night as a series of late goals gave the Mountaineers the advantage and, ultimately, the 3-0 victory.

It was WVU freshman Julianne Vallerand who, in the game’s 77th minute, added the night’s first goal to the scoreboard. The shot, which was assisted by fellow freshman Enzi Broussard, was the game winner.

In the game’s 84th minute, sophomore midfielder Addison Clark used her head to knock in her first goal of the season, giving the Mountaineers the 2-0 lead.

One minute later, Vallerand connected for her second goal of the game after a pass from Memphis transfer Jessica Lisi found Vallerand facing a wide open net. 

“We want to get on teams a little bit earlier than later and, obviously, with such a young team, there’s a lot we still have to learn and understand about tempos of the game,” WVU head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said. “We showed some character tonight. I was proud that we were able to put three in the back of the net.”

Despite the run on goals, the West Virginia (2-1-0) offensive unit had struggled for most of the game in getting shots to find the back of the net.

Through the first half, the two teams danced around the net but, ultimately, neither team could connect for a goal. 

Entering the half, the Mountaineers had gotten six shots off with two being on goal. High Point (0-3-0) had one shot on goal out of their three total shots.

As the second half progressed, the aggressive style of play on offense from Izzo-Brown, held the ball in front of High Point goalkeeper Talia Klimes for much of the remaining time in the game. 

Once the clock struck zero, the Mountaineers had ended the night having gotten off 22 total shots with eight of them being on goal.

After a day off on Saturday, the Mountaineers will look to extend their win streak as they travel to the campus of the University of Virginia to take on the Cavaliers. The opening kick from Klöckner Stadium in Charlottesville will come at 2 p.m.