The West Virginia volleyball team gave No. 1 Baylor a stern test at the WVU Coliseum on Tuesday, but eventually fell 3-1.

The first set was hard fought, with the Mountaineers (11-17, 2-13 Big 12) having to make a comeback.  The Bears (24-1, 14-1) jumped out to a 5-0 lead right away, and later held an 18-11 lead. WVU wouldn’t give up and scored four straight to cut the lead to three at 18-15.

Trailing 20-17, WVU scored five straight and picked up a 22-20 lead.  Both teams traded points late in the set with the Mountaineers prevailing, 32-30.

WVU got off to a good start in the second set, taking a 13-8 lead.  Baylor responded and cut the lead to one at 13-12. The set would remain close until the end with Baylor taking it by a score of 25-23 after a WVU service error.

The third set showed an even battle, with the largest lead coming late in the set with Baylor leading 21-15.  The Mountaineers fought until the end, but the Bears came out on top, 25-22.

In the fourth set, WVU got off to a slow start and allowed Baylor to take the first four points.  The Mountaineers couldn’t catch up after that and fell 25-17.

Senior Katelyn Evans had a game to remember as she finished with 18 kills, eclipsed 1000 for her career. Sophomore Kristina Jordan led the team with 19.

On defense, WVU was led by junior Alexa Hasting with 17 digs, followed by sophomore Lacey Zerwas with 13.

WVU will finish the season at home on Saturday when they take on the Kansas Jayhawks at 1 p.m.