katelyn evans katie demeo wright st

Aug. 25, 2018; Katelyn Evans (left) and Katie Demeo (right) jump to block the ball from Wright State.

The West Virginia University volleyball team hits the road this week to face off against TCU on Thursday and Oklahoma on Saturday.

The team is coming off a tough loss against Baylor. The Mountaineers (9-10, 1-5 Big 12) were up 2-1 in the match and feeling a sweep until the third set. They were unable to pull the win out and Baylor took the match 3-2.

Junior outside hitter Katelyn Evans hit a season-high 21 points in the match against Baylor. For Evans, this loss was especially tough.

“That was tough for me, it was tough for everyone," Evans said. "In the first two sets, the third set and about half of the fifth, we did really good things. We were forcing them to hit shots they didn’t want to hit, so they were making more errors. There were shimmers of greatness."

One of the biggest issues the team faces is closing out matches. This was the second match of the season they were up by two sets and dropped the match in the third set.

Freshman outside hitter Kristin Lux said they need to keep their winning momentum throughoutthe match

“A lot of it is just the fight to finish," Lux said. "The first couple of sets we had them and we were playing so well together, we just kind of gave up the end."

TCU is No. 5 in the Big 12 and Oklahoma is No. 6. Evans said it doesn’t matter who they’re facing off against, they always have to be ready to bring the hits.

“Anyone can beat you, whether it’s the last place team or the first place team, we always have to come with it, their record isn’t really a question,” Evans said.

The Mountaineers are bringing some of the confidence from their non-conference sweep against George Washington University with them on the road trip. That was their fifth sweep of the season.

“I definitely think [the win] was a boost. Even though it wasn’t a conference game, that was going to determine the direction we went no matter how big the game was, we needed to win that to put ourselves in the right direction,” Lux said.

WVU is meeting against TCU for the 13th time. They have played against each other 12 times since the Mountaineers joined the Big 12.

In Fort Worth, Texas, the Mountaineers will face off against TCU at 8 p.m. on Thursday and then they'll head up Interstate 35 to Norman, Oklahoma for their first meeting against the Oklahoma Sooners on Saturday at 2:30 p.m.