wvu volleyball team

The West Virginia volleyball team huddles up during their 3-1 win over Texas Tech. 

The West Virginia University volleyball team ended their three-game losing streak with a 3-1 win over Texas Tech on Wednesday night.

The Mountaineers (10-12, 2-7 Big 12) took the win with set scores of 21-25, 25-22,25-23, 25-21.

“I just knew I had to come out and be aggressive and take over in the back court. Being at home gives us a lot of momentum with our crowd and knowing we have to protect our home court,” said sophomore defensive specialist Alexa Hastings.

Hastings led the team with a total of 18 digs, improving tremendously from her seven digs in WVU's last game against Oklahoma

Junior outside hitter Katelyn Evans led the team with a total of 16 kills, followed by junior right side hitter Natania Levak, 14 kills and a .394 hitting percentage. Freshman setter Lacey Zerwas came in the lead with a total of 46 assists.

West Virginia, as a team, ended with 55 kills, 11 blocks, and only 26 errors on 158 total swings.

“We didn’t play well on the first set, but we were close. I thought we did some nice things, but we let them go on runs,” says head coach Reed Sunarhara. “We came back in the second set, and we won the second set, I thought, okay well now we’re are in it.”

The Mountaineers lost the first set to Texas Tech (15-8, 4-5) with a 25-21 score. West Virginia took a timeout after being down by five, 2-7, to the Red Raiders. WVU rallied to come within three.

The Red Raiders then reached match point late, as West Virginia then takes another timeout. A kill from Jordan extends the set for The Mountaineers, giving Texas Tech a 24-21 advantage. TTU scored on the next play to take the first set.

West Virginia called a timeout in the start of the second set, after being down 5-0. A kill from Lux finally put the Mountaineers on the board, with a 1-6 advantage for the Red Raiders. West Virginia called another timeout after Texas Tech puts down a 4-0 scoring streak. Levak put down her seventh kill of the night, putting the Mountaineers only down by two, 17-19.

Levak and McElhaney then both put down a kill, tying the match with 21 points each. A huge kill from Evans gaves the Mountaineers the set point, 25-22.

With a 1-1 overall match tie, the Mountaineers take the early lead in the third set. After a 11-point tie and back-to-back kills, West Virginia took a 17-15 lead. TTU took a ball handling error, giving WVU the set point.

West Virginia took a timeout as Texas Tech took two straight points to extend the set, 24-23. WVU then stormed back to take the 2-1 match lead to end the set.

West Virginia held a 6-4 lead in the beginning of the fourth set. Texas Tech took a timeout after Lux put one to the floor leaving TTU down, 18-14. The Red Raiders then put down back-to-back kills to tie the match with 19 apiece.

Evans put another one down, giving the Mountaineers the three point lead, 23-20. Tech calls a final timeout. A block from Levak put the Mountaineers at match point. West Virginia took the 3-1 win after an attacking error by Texas Tech.

West Virginia will close out the month of October against Kansas on Wednesday. The first set will tip off at 6 p.m. at the WVU Coliseum. Fans are encouraged to gain free admission by wearing a Halloween costume. The match will be followed by a costume contest.

The Mountaineers are only two wins away from collecting their 700th win in program history, while currently holding a 698-735 all-time record since 1974.